General information Archive
Like most other municipal archives, our city archives have their origins in the City of Krefeld's administration archives. This is why they were originally situated in the old Town Hall on Schwanenmarkt. Around the beginning of the last century, the archives were moved to a building at Westwall 143, then in 1934 to the south wing of the new City Hall on Von-der-Leyen-Platz. This move proved to be a near catastrophe for the city archives: the south wing of the City Hall was reduced to rubble and a large part of the administration's old files destroyed by a bomb raid on 22 May 1944. The surviving files were immediately put into safe-storage and remained there after the war too. But unfortunately there are large gaps, especially in education and building records. Up to 1957 the archives were run on a part-time basis; it was only from then on that a fully qualified archivist took over the management of the archives.
Since March 1982 the city archives have been installed in a functional modern building, with ideal conditions for storing historical records. It is on Girmesgath, just behind the Stadthaus on Konrad-Adenauer-Platz. Visitors find a well-lit, pleasant reading room, a library of about 21,000 volumes, thousands of historical photographs, and modern equipment from a photocopier to microfilm readers for use in their research.